Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Notice and Note Book Study Post 3


Welcome to Section 3 of our book study.  I spent yesterday at a state organized professional development focused on supporting teachers in implementing the common core in English Language Arts.  I was so excited to share how wonderful Notice and Note is and and some insights that pertained to our topics that have come from my learning by reading this book.  I get to spend the next three days in PD as well.

Since it's nearly midnight as I'm writing this and I have to get up to attend more PD tomorrow, I'm going to make it short and sweet. I'm sure you'll gain some great insights from the other participants who link up or leave comments.  

Question 6: What is the role of talk?

I marked on page 29 the sentence "Authentic questions, by contrast, are questions for which you really don't know the answer." The best conversations we've had in my classroom have revolved around authentic questions.  Students return with their own questions, and answer and question one another.  Unfortunately, most of these happen unplanned when a question pops into my mind spurred by a reading or comment from a student.  Purposefully planning such questions would probably be more meaningful and would make them occur with more frequency. 

Question 7: What is Close Reading? 

In the PD I'm attending, we discussed what close reading is.  Many teachers want a formula or outline to follow. Then they can say, I did such and such, therefore I'm going close reading.  Close reading is more than just an outline to follow.  I think a term that might better describe it is deep(er) reading.  It's what I call looking more closely at the text in my classroom.  I love this sentence on page 36: [Close Reading] "It should imply that we bring the text and the reader close together." It's not a step by step, formulated process.  It is reading several times, for different purposes each time with the ultimate goal being to bring the text and reader together.  Additionally, the repeated readings don't have to be of the entire passage over and over.  You can purposefully choose specific sections to drill down into and examine closely. 

Please join us by linking up below or commenting your thoughts on this section.  Late to the party? Visit here to see the schedule and all the details. 


 photo Signature_edited-3_zps050aaea1.png



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love Comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...