Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Trick to Solving Backward Number Formation

Here's a little tip about how to help your students form their numbers the correct direction.  Students can check the numbers with their left hand: 2 and 3 hang off the thumb, 4 sits on the thumb, 5 curves around the thumb, 6 leans against the first finger and sits on the thumb, 7  and 9 hang off the thumb.  How "handy" is that?  Here's a printable page of "bookmarks" that you can give to each student to reference as they write their numbers.  Think about sending these home at your math night or back to school night for parents to have at home as a helper.  Look for posters that you can post in your room on this blog next week.  Tip for you:  As I've taught this to my students, I've learned that I need to make sure that I take my lefties aside and remind them that they need to set their pencil down to check their numbers.  Otherwise, my lefties start writing backward numbers. ;)

Pin It

12 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this! We are on spring break right now but I will DEFINITELY be using this when we return to school!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I'm happy they will be useful to you.

      Delete
  2. I love these! Thanks so much for sharing! Now I need to make one for backwards letters!

    Lori
    Teaching With Love and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed about the backwards letters also! And I just checked out the posters... they are awesome!

    -Jessica
    A Turn to Learn

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great idea! I wish I would have had these posters when teaching K. Thanks! I'm your newest follower. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your ideas to help student make their numbers the correct way. It is something tht I knew, but you wrote it out so cleverly, that I will be able to teach it much easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it will be helpful for you, Tonya.

      Delete
  6. Thanks so much! Great resource for my kindergarteners!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are great! Thank you so much.
    Wendy

    ReplyDelete

I love Comments

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...